I suggest you ...

Allow importing an image as a page background

Import an image and use it as a page background.

63 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Brett Moyer shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Please comment here how you would expect this to work. An image doesn’t have an inherent size. Would you want the page size to match the dimensions of the image exactly? Or would you want the page size to be a standard size with the image fit to it as best as possible (with blank space around the image)? Or something else?

8 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Konrad Leymann commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

For PDF oder JPEG I would NOT suggest to strech the template.
    The user should be responsible to provide a correct image size - meaning the importet PDF/JPEG is providing the later size of the virtual paper.

• Matusalém Lustosa commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I want New backgrounds by an jpg or PDF filés. Actually, squid only have a few backgrounds. We want New backgrounds, not so Engineering or Lines or Planner's List

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Both options sound interesting. To import an image and have a page the same size as the image would be more useful to me, as the other is already existing. The only problem is, that you could accidentally select the image while working on the document, so I suggest an option to "manage background" where you can pick a standard background or place an image (or multiple).
    I suppose this would result in a "do stuff as usual" and a "manage the images on the page" mode, where the images of the later one are inaccessible in the first one.

• Steve Hayes commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Show the picture with a resizable wireframe to allow a portion of the picture to be selected. Wireframe would be portrait or landscape and to fit the page size. This may be suitable for standard paper sizes and unsuitable for infinite paper size

• Ethan Eddy commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The way I do this now is I import the image, position it the way I want, export to PDF, and then insert the PDF as a new page every time I make a new page. So a workflow that produced similar results but had fewer steps would be nice.

• Terri Crawford commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I would want the image to fit to a standard size sheet, or also have the option to choose to have a border and choose an image size.

• Antonio commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I think the page should have the size of the image, or at least its proportions, and then allow it to scale? So if I use a 600x400px image as background, the page proportions should be 3x2. The actual size idk, since it's vector it shouldn't matter, I guess? But at least 600x400px.

• Matteo Colonna commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

In my opinion if it was possible to import a pdf or jpg background file it will be a fantastic implementation.

Feedback and Knowledge Base