I suggest you ...

Fewer clicks to switch tools

I'd like to have fewer clicks to change tools. Like changing from pencil to eraser or shapes. Maybe there could be a quick change or some defaults.

To change tools, you have to
1. click the tools menu
2. Click the tab of the tool
3. Choose the specific tool
4. Click out of the menu

Then, you can start using it. And that is without changing any tool options.

656 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Larry E shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

116 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes! It's rather cumbersome to switch tools. It should only take one touch to do this.

• Massimo commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

A customizable tool bar would be great. Better with less spacing between icon to gain more room for other buttons

• Crispian commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I would include "paste" being always visible as I often copy things from one page, notebook to another and it is a bit clumsy to to at present

• Tyler Earnest commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

There really needs to be some presets that are quickly accessible at the tool bar. It would be great to quickly switch between a thick red pen and a fine blue pin as I'm editing papers.

• Joona E commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Im using a 10.1 display, and I would prefer free custom slots, next to or below the current toolbar, thats content the user could alter according his own choosing

• Sarah commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I think it would be cool to have one of those "multi-use buttons" where you touch the button and drag in a certain direction. So touch and drag left would go to pen, touch and drag right would be eraser, touch and drag down would do select.

Or switch between colors... A feature like this would be so helpful. My math lectures are so fast and the current drop down menus are not fast enough.

It should be made as an option that you can toggle on and off. On smaller screen devices the extra space you get from the toolbar makes the app user friendlier.

Fully agree.
    The need for a better UI in this area is especially obvious on a tablet, where the in landscape more 50% of the toolbar is free space, i.e. real-estate not well used.

• Luis Barba commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

While the side button can only be used in hover mode, this is enough to allow a quick access to the eraser. One click of this side button in hover mode can enable the eraser (or any other tool specified in preferences) without the need to access the menus or move from the area you are working on. After erasing, the selected tool can go back automatically to writing mode. Other applications have this feature and is amazing

A button on right side of paper to "return" to next line at left side when the paper is zoomed. Save on time sliding back.

• Jorge Rodriguez commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I made a mockup of what it might look like to have an interface that supports fewer taps to get at tools:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/4205810/Papyrus/one-tap-tools.png

Pressing the + symbol can open the options, but pressing an icon will just close it again and activate the new tool without any more tapping.

Even better would be if those tools were in the bar at the top in the first place.

• Alex Alc commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I think the most efficient way of doing it is:
    - Have some customizable presets on the persistent bar the same way the tools and colors are now
    - When the tools button is clicked, a second bar appears with all the different tools extended in that bar. If a tool is long-pressed the options appear.

• Amir Asiaee commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I think having a favorite floating palette is solving this problem nicely, similar ideas exist in note any time (now metamoji) and lecturenotes. You set your favorite colors as default also lasso tools can be there.

The number of clicks required to change tools is a constant source of frustration

• Eugenii commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Binding fast tool switch function to pen side button would be great (like in last s-note).

Feedback and Knowledge Base