I suggest you ...

Add Google Drive as a Cloud Option

Support for Google Drive storage via cloud services.

844 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Anonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Admin →

We currently support creating and restoring backups to/from Google Drive via the local backup settings: http://feedback.squidnotes.com/knowledgebase/articles/1185616

I understand that this does not meet everyone’s needs. Adding support for Google Drive to the automatic backup options is something we continue to investigate.

I recently wrote an open letter to Cloud Storage providers on this subject: https://medium.com/steadfast-innovation/open-letter-to-cloud-storage-apps-on-android-a2d0eb919fc4

Please encourage your favorite cloud storage provider (i.e. Google Drive) to fully support the Android Storage Access Framework (as stated in the above letter). This will not only help us to better support backup and restore to ANY cloud app, but will help the ecosystem as a whole.

130 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Donovan commented  · 

google drive is a must.

• Jason commented  · 

Yes, Google drive here. Also, synchronization between platforms would be excellent. I use the Windows version as well as the Android version. Though, the Windows version need's a great deal of updating.

• Eddie Quezada commented  · 

This is the only feature keeping me from recommending this to everyone over Nebo! :(

• Guy Rosenfeld commented  · 

Is there a way to open a document from Google Drive and save the changes into the document on the drive?

• Matt Coddington commented  · 

this app eats Google Keep's lunch! LOVE the funtionality! Add the ability to sync to Google Drive, and sync across devices, and you'll have a REAL winner!!!

• Anonymous commented  · 

i agree with syncing across device platforms. why can i not view what i have written on my pixelbook chromebook on my pixel 2 phone or on my samsung tablet, etc, etc?

If you guys wanna beat OneNote or EverNote or every other app out there, this is an easy homerun.

• Maks Žbogar commented  · 

Backup to Cloud, should contain Google Drive. I agree.

• AdminAndrew Hughes (Founder, Steadfast Innovation, LLC) commented  · 

Hi Chris - We do have partial support for Drive via the SAF (at least as much as Drive currently supports). See http://feedback.squidnotes.com/knowledgebase/articles/1185616

I know you're asking for Drive SDK integration. This is definitely something we're still investigating. We're just *also* trying to get Drive (and others) to fully support the SAF at the same time since this would be the preferred, and frankly better, solution.

I understand what you're saying about users not caring about the internal problems that engineers deal with. However, I'm hoping that some % of you do care and will help put pressure on Google (and others) to fully support the SAF.

Honestly, our current Cloud Backup solution has issues. It works great when you start out, but the more notes you take, the larger the backup becomes. Unfortunately, it's not as simple as only backing up what's changed due to the way our internal data is stored. This is also something we're investigating (and have been for a while), but having support for the SAF would go a long way towards improving this. This is because we could simply create a backup and save it locally to Storage Provider X (e.g. Drive). Then Storage Provider X would do what they do best: manage syncing any changes to the cloud in an efficient manner.

• Chris K commented  · 

Hey Andrew, I'm all for encouraging Drive to support SAF, but it's ridiculous for you to not commit to a Drive storage option even with partial support for SAF.

Users don't care about the internal problems that engineers deal with. Honestly, I think you're hurting your product by pushing the technical politics to them.

Putting on my user hat: I don't care whether Drive "fully supports framework X", other apps do it just fine (Nova launcher, Solid Explorer, Allo, etc). It's silly that you can't either. I'll just wait for another notes app to come along and do it right and then switch.

Your competitive advantage right now is native support for pen input (lagless), and if you're going to throw that away for arguing about how backups should be implemented on cloud solutions, mannnnnnn you're gonna have a bad time.

• JPStroud commented  · 

Thanks for the heads up, Andrew!

• Joe commented  · 

I use Google Drive for everything, not about to create a dropbox account just for Squid. Also no syncing across platforms? What's going on here?

• Susanne Ary commented  · 

More important would be the option to store specific notes in the cloud or backup only the latest changes. My file has 60 MB by now and I have to upload and download it every time I switch devices...

• Anonymous commented  · 

I 100% agree, please add Google Drive as a backup option. Or at minimum, since you can do local backups, have it also locally backup a PDF copy of books as well.

• Andy commented  · 

Please add Google Drive as a cloud option.

• Andy commented  · 

I also am interested in Drive support.

• Gregg C commented  · 

I use squid every day. This is the reason I will not upgrade.

• Pamela commented  · 

Please add Google Drive support.

• Martin jimenez commented  · 

Podrian agregar mas servicios de nube como drive de google

Feedback and Knowledge Base