I suggest you ...

Add Google Drive as a Cloud Option

Support for Google Drive storage via cloud services.

958 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Anonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We currently support creating and restoring backups to/from Google Drive via the local backup settings: http://feedback.squidnotes.com/knowledgebase/articles/1185616

I understand that this does not meet everyone’s needs. Adding support for Google Drive to the automatic backup options is something we continue to investigate.

I recently wrote an open letter to Cloud Storage providers on this subject: https://medium.com/steadfast-innovation/open-letter-to-cloud-storage-apps-on-android-a2d0eb919fc4

Please encourage your favorite cloud storage provider (i.e. Google Drive) to fully support the Android Storage Access Framework (as stated in the above letter). This will not only help us to better support backup and restore to ANY cloud app, but will help the ecosystem as a whole.

142 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Chris K commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hey Andrew, I'm all for encouraging Drive to support SAF, but it's ridiculous for you to not commit to a Drive storage option even with partial support for SAF.

Users don't care about the internal problems that engineers deal with. Honestly, I think you're hurting your product by pushing the technical politics to them.

Putting on my user hat: I don't care whether Drive "fully supports framework X", other apps do it just fine (Nova launcher, Solid Explorer, Allo, etc). It's silly that you can't either. I'll just wait for another notes app to come along and do it right and then switch.

Your competitive advantage right now is native support for pen input (lagless), and if you're going to throw that away for arguing about how backups should be implemented on cloud solutions, mannnnnnn you're gonna have a bad time.

• Joe commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I use Google Drive for everything, not about to create a dropbox account just for Squid. Also no syncing across platforms? What's going on here?

• Susanne Ary commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

More important would be the option to store specific notes in the cloud or backup only the latest changes. My file has 60 MB by now and I have to upload and download it every time I switch devices...

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I 100% agree, please add Google Drive as a backup option. Or at minimum, since you can do local backups, have it also locally backup a PDF copy of books as well.

• Kris H. commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I really like the premium app and its additional options but not having the option to sync to Google Drive id s significant detractor. If there is some underlying reason please share as this is quite frustrating and may lead me to another app.

• Michael Cornelius commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I signed up for a year-long (introductory?) premium promo and LOVE squid.

There is a very real chance I will cancel if, after this promotion is up, there is still no Drive support.

• Ben Hubbard commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Squid gets many things right but lacks such basic functionality as syncing with Google Drive. Wake up, devs.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have not signed up for Premium yet because of lack of Google Drive sync. Currently using OneNote until a viable alternative is found that supports Google Drive.

• Vivian Lee commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is literally the ONLY thing keeping me from using Squid full time as my notetaking app. I'm tired of being stuck on OneNote. Please, bring Google Drive in as a sync option!

Feedback and Knowledge Base