I suggest you ...

Continuous page mode

It would be nice to be able to start writing on the next page while still viewing the bottom of the previous page.

205 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Gustav Delius shared this idea  ·   ·  Admin →

There are many challenges with supporting continuous scrolling between pages. For example, a note can contain pages with infinite size (the default background type), which can be scrolled infinitely within the same page (so you’d never get to the next page). Infinite backgrounds can also be mixed with fixed size backgrounds (including PDFs). There isn’t really a good way to support scrolling through pages in this way. If you have any suggestions, please let us know in the comments!

41 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Gabriel commented  · 

Hello!

Sadly I was just looking for the same thing and will have to switch the app and cancel my premium subscription cause of this. I mainly used the app to take note in classes with a standard size of DIN A4 pages. I already found an other app to do this (won't name it here obviously), but will come back once there will be an option to do this. I realy prefered the simplicity of Squid over my new "solution".

Best regards

• Adam commented  · 

Several solutions have been proposed below, Andrew. The reality is that infinite pages are useful only for initial note taking. Annotating materials (which I suspect is most people's intended use for squid - students with textbooks, musicians with charts, contractors with blueprints) is only truly functional if the pdfs can quickly scroll from one page to the next (left & right swipe), scroll through many pages quickly (up & down swipe), and directly jump to a particular page. There's no reason that the software couldn't allow a user to turn on continuous scrolling, be warned if they have any infinite pages that these will convert to fixed sizes, and even turn off continuous scrolling to add a new infinite page.

Personally, I will have to try some other software unless this feature is implemented. I'm sure you've already lost users over its absence.

• Anonymous commented  · 

Hey guys, take a look at the Samsung Note app, the one pre-installed on Samsung Note8, not the Snote app. Their page is infinite and it supports adding pics or voice into the note you're working on. Also it doesn't have any problem exporting notes. I really like that kind of infinite scroll so that's the reason why it remains my primary tool for handwriting notes. I use squid when I need more background choices. However I can always import a pic as the background if I want. It would be really nice if you guys could add the infinite scroll feature, and I'd like to switch to your app as a premium member. Thanks!

• Anoop Nambiath commented  · 

Enable it atleast in fixed size pages. Or atleast a swipe to change pages in fixed size pages alone. Having to pull down the top bar for flipping pages is a painful distraction while reading PDFs using Squid

• Abram Demski commented  · 

A document with continuous scrolling enabled could disallow any features which mess it up -- specifically, infinite pages.

For me, I find that continuous scrolling is just more "natural" in a number of ways.

1. I don't want to use infinite pages. While they are very appealing for taking the notes in the first place, they are not very appealing for sharing them.
        2. With continuous scrolling, I can still see the context of what I was writing on the previous page, when I am just starting the new page. This means less interruption in thinking.
        3. I find that in apps which allow continuous scrolling between pages, I feel more comfortable because I can more naturally position the page so that I'm writing in the position which is most comfortable for me -- I don't have to write on the full range from the top to the bottom of the tablet.

• CURTIS ATKISSON commented  · 

It would be nice to be able to continuously scroll on pdfs. Given that my primary use case is math and mathematical papers, being able to quickly scroll to see previous equations is important.

• Anonymous commented  · 

Like some other users here, I was also thinking mainly about a page that is infinite in only one direction (vertical would be my use case). I would assume that would be very easy to implement, given that there is already an infinite page.

Perhaps we should open a new post for this feature? (though there are already other suggestions, partially overlapping).

• Anonymous commented  · 

We could always keep the next page/previous page buttons for those infinite pages.

I am a paid user since Papyrus. I keep my notes in finite pages so that I can port to pdf and print sometime. I would love to be able to scroll the page up so that I can my palm on the bulk of the screen and not touching the buttons below.

If this is entirely not possible, perhaps vertically infinite page with fixed-width, fit-screen zoom can be an alternative.

• Tony commented  · 

Is there some way (perhaps even already available that I missed) to get a page that is infinite in only one direction? That's more what I thought of when I voted for a "continuous page" feature.

• Anonymous commented  · 

I would really love to have this. When use in conjunction with fit width mode, it will be very powerful handwriting note app!

• Roro commented  · 

This would be extremely helpful for engaging with PDFs at a better speed.

• Erik commented  · 

It's been almost four years and still no implementation, are these comments/suggestions even read by squidnotes? Hmmm...

• Lara commented  · 

a rotation Tool would be neat for scanned pdf handling

• Steven Wolf commented  · 

Or even adding an icon to the area where I can select the pen/color/highlighter/etc.

I don't know if Windows/Android support two-finger swiping or similar gestures.

• lynn l commented  · 

yes please add.

• Manuel Malagon commented  · 

Yeah, this is already implemented. You just make the size "infinite"

• Stephen St. Agathe commented  · 

This is already implemented, unless I'm mistaken. Can't we set notes to infinite??

• Lee commented  · 

Page that scrolls up and down, so I can just keep going down the page, like a never ending toilet roll

• Dr Kain commented  · 

This feature of continuous page for PDF import is so important. Else the navigation system should have larger arrows or be easier to navigate (rather than the small arrows in the right hand corner) or even have contents for all the pages for quick navigation.

• Ahmed Salahuddin Saleh commented  · 

It will be a good idea if we can turn the page of an imported pdf file up or down by sliding finger(s) on screen up or down instead of going to the arrows.

← Previous 1 3

Feedback and Knowledge Base